Friday, July 25, 2008

The Geek Hierarchy

A few years ago I stumbled across The Brunching Shuttlecocks website and their ever amusing Geek Hierarchy Chart. As any good geek would do, I quickly analyzed the chart to see where I stood. I then printed a copy out to share with my friends and we all had a good laugh.

Any good geek should be able to take a joke, even at their own expense. It's true that the nature of being a geek comes along with the joy of being picked on. Being picked on is not a laughing matter these days, what with bullying leading to major acts of violence, still I like to think that most geeks evolve with a sense of humor and ability to get over being teased.

That aside, the social hierarchies are nothing new, nor are they strictly related to geek culture. "Considering yourself less geeky than..." simply translates to "Considering yourself better than..." in other social groups. It's an unavoidable ugly side of human nature. Even the nicest people in the world will catch themselves thinking they are better than someone else in some way, shape or form.

No comments: