Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sonic!

Today fans are celebrating 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog by looking back at the classic games we grew up with and looking forward to the upcoming release of Sonic Generations, a game which promises to be a beautiful homage to a character we know and love.

Anyone who knows me personally, knows how big of an influence Sonic was on me. Yet this is the first time I ever celebrated his birthday. I remember mentions of the tenth and fifteenth anniversary, the tenth anniversary statue is the pride of my Sonic collection, but never before have I been able to witness a celebration of this magnitude and I have another love of mine to thank for that: Social Media.

Social media and damn good brand managing and publicity, on SEGA's part, allowing insights into a company I've wanted to be a part of since I was a kid. I feel like I'm the one getting birthday presents! If you're a fan and not following SEGA on Twitter or Facebook, you should be!

Help me help @SEGA get #sonic20th trending on Twitter for the US. I am currently posting #thingssonictaughtme to share all the good vibes and positive messages that can be found in Sonic games and the music created for them.

Here's a shaky but fun fan video from Sonic Boom 2011 which is just a glimpse into the festivities held during E3.


No comments: