Monday, January 7, 2008

The Pen Doesn't Want to be My Friend Anymore

It's just not the same going back to a traditional ink pen once you've made the leap to digital inking (something tells me that a Sharpie doesn't really count as traditional). Maybe if they'd invent an undo button for life I'd feel more at ease going back to a marker or ball-point pen and tracing paper.

This weekend I tried to get a headstart on my sticker art for my art table at Tekkoshocon. I looked at my previous two sketchbooks and I inked some little chibi sticker designs no problem knowing full well that all of the little ink spots, you know the ones you get from holding the pen a millisecond too long in one spot, could easily be erased in Photoshop. But then I decided to work on my latest original character gesture practice piece and could not get the face down. Those little sensitive details I just couldn't get the way I wanted! It looks fine in pencil, but not once I tried to use a marker. Argh!

Tonight I'll be in Photoshop spending some quality time with Evan, my original character, and my Wacom. How do you feel about the Wacom vs traditional ink?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find that I kind of switch a lot. It helps me stay used to both mediums and keep my art varied.

I love the tablet for the fact that you can just press control-z (or command-z in my case) or use the eraser tool if you mess up, but using the pen itself helps you make less mistakes in the first place.

Of course, I'm not usually thinking about that while doing my art; I just grab what's in front of me and draw with it.