Monday, December 24, 2007

NiGHTS Journey of Dreams: My Childhood in a Box

Nine years ago all I wanted for my sixteenth birthday was a SEGA Saturn and a copy of the Sonic Team's newly released title NiGHTS Into Dreams. Back then I kept up to date on the latest news in the console wars. A hardcore Sonic fan since age ten, I was on SEGA's side and never gave up. I started buying gaming magazines and learned about NiGHTS' story long before the game hit the shelf. I begged my parents for months and they repeatedly said "We're not buying you any more game systems!" Still, when I opened my birthday present there it was!

The first time I played NiGHTS Into Dreams I saw the starlit city and was immediately entranced. For me it was the character design of NiGHTS and Reala, and the background of the beautiful city that inspired me. I fell in love with the characters and the very kid friendly inspiring storyline.

We waited a long time for it, but now we finally have our sequel, NiGHTS Journey of Dreams. This is a game made for the fans of the first game. To be honest I love it, but I am bias and I'm not sure that it will generate new fans. After finishing the game and seeing all four versions of the ending, there are a few things I would have like to have seen done differently, but overall I am very pleased:

NiGHTS - His voice stunned me at first. I didn't expect it to be deep or anything, but I think it's a hair too feminine. Maybe it's the hint of an English accent but it threw me. I'm getting use to it. He has a very nice bad-ass moment in the complete endings where he throws his persona mask, a symbol of his loyalty to Wiseman, to the ground and challenges Reala!

Reala - For nine years I have been saying "Ray-la" not "Re-al-la" it's a hard habit to break, but I'm working on it. They did a 100% awesome job on his design, voice and attitude. He is bad-ass and I love it when he grabs NiGHTS by the collar and jacks him against the dream gate door. He plays marvelous mind games with Helen and Will which brings up the fact that NiGHTS is a nighmaren, Reala's sibling, created by Wiseman. This in game revelation causes a nice level of drama and conflict. I wish there would have been more one on one battles with Reala through out the game.

Helen & Will - Helen and Will are both adorable. I love Helen's English accent, it suits her very well. Will kinda reminds me of Tails. They both have compelling complicated realistic childhood social and personal issues that they have to overcome.

Other Nightmaren - I am one of the many fans who is sad that Jackal didn't return, still there are new bosses who are almost as awesome. Puffy's cousin (not officially) Donbalon seems to have Jackal's laugh while Chamelan stole his cards. The spider, Queen Bella is well designed and Cerberus, yes the hell hound, is scary enough to make Reala stutter (officially).

Wiseman - His evil presence is much more intimidating now that he has a personality. The "Evil Homer" laugh lives and the god complex fits perfectly.

Music - I am thrilled that the Sonic Team used familiar themes from the original game . It's comforting and nostalgic but tweaked just enough to keep it exciting. The main theme, the theme for NiGHTS vs Reala, the last stage (formerly know as Twin Seeds, now called Bellbridge), and the fight with Wiseman are all powerfully remixed with just enough kick to give us old fans goosebumps again. In addition, all of the new music fits perfectly.

Gameplay - The gameplay hasn't changed much other than using the new controllers. It 's a little hard to get use to having mastered the special SEGA SATURN NiGHTS Controller years ago.

My Dream - The online capabilities of My Dream are awesome. I wish I had wifi. The "My Dream Garden" is similar to Sonic's Chao Garden except the Nightopians aren't as needy. You do need to feed them, they breed and you have to keep Nightmarens from eating them, but they build the garden up based on what stages you play, what you accomplish and such. If you have wifi it will link with the weather forecast and if it's raining or snowing where you live it will rain or snow in your dream garden. That's just awesome. There are other things you can do online like visit other peoples' gardens and give gifts. Isn't that neat?

Like I said, over all I am a very happy gamer. I hope we don't have to wait another nine years for the next NiGHTS game.

No comments: